Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Julia Pott

I have a crush on Julia Pott and her short film, My First Crush! I know everyone must have seen this by now but I just wanted to scrawl my opinion on the bathroom wall about it. It's like finding one of your high-school note books with the pages filled with graffiti. Love notes and doodles of classmates underline and rule the place of awkward feelings and new found expression from that age. My First Crush perfectly captures the memory of first love in a deceptively simple style that is all Julia's own, quirky and poignant! Her animation lends well to the stories with creative transition shots and composition as the animal characters re-enact the interviewed tales of infatuation. The film would fit nicely in front of Jonas Odell's film, Never Like the First Time! and Matthew Walker's film, John and Karen, in an animation program!! This is a good short to watch to kick off this New Year as it made me weak in the knees and has me writing in the margins again. Be sure to check out her blog too!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. Thanks for letting me know about that wonderful film. No, I hadn't seen that before.

I've also slowed down my blog lately, although there's a ton of stuff that I'm waiting to mention...

I'm just so busy...

jeff hasulo said...

Hey Niffiwan! I can't wait.